Digital Photography II
- This class will introduce advanced studio techniques that build on the previous skills acquired in Digital Photography I.
- Students will learn to work with more advanced photographic equipment including professional strobe and hot-lights, while refining their natural lighting skills.
- Students will concentrate on the development of a distinctive personal style and will pursue individual interests.
- Students will continue to critique their work and will engage in an ongoing study of the history of photography.
- Students will critique and analyze photographers from various fields across the globe.
- This class will continue to focus on hands-on learning both inside and outside the classroom/lab.
- Students will continue to develop an on-line portfolio of digital photographic work and will be required to actively participate in the critique process.
Common Core Standards:
· Key Ideas and Details
RST.9-10.3. Follow precisely a complex multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks, attending to special cases or exceptions defined in the text.
· Craft and Structure
RST.9-10.4. Determine the meaning of symbols, key terms, and other domain-specific words and phrases as they are used in a specific scientific or technical context relevant to grades 9–10 texts and topics.
· Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
RST.9-10.7. Translate quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text into visual form (e.g., a table or chart) and translate information expressed visually or mathematically (e.g., in an equation) into words.
Cameras Used In Class: TBA
Programs Used: TBA
We will/may use excerpts from the following books, magazines, or article links listed on the website:
- Adobe Photoshop CS4/5/6 Classroom in a book
- O’Reilly Photoshop CS4/5/6 photo effects cookbook,
- O’Reilly: Photoshop fine art effects cookbook
- Popular Photography
- New York Times Photoblog
Homework: At least one writing assignment per semester
Assessment/Grading Policy: See the Rubric for additional details
- Projects = 60% of final grade
- Labs = 40% of final grade
- Participation = 10% of final grade
Supplies Needed: (Highly recommended)
- 8 GB flash drive
- Notebook to keep class notes, ideas and sketches
- School wide policies will be upheld in this class. This includes, but is not limited to; a no electronic device policy, a dress code policy, tardy policy (in this class a tardy is defined as not in the room and ready when the bell rings).
Digital Photography Class Privileges:
- In photography at times we get the privilege to go outside and photograph.
- It is very important that you understand this is a privilege and it can be revoked at anytime if it is abused.
- At all times you must respect the fact that other classes are in session.
- Avoid the classrooms
- Do not disturb classes (through a window, a door, or other means)
- Do not communicate with people in classes (that includes talking and waving)
- Whisper in the halls, your talking voice can be very loud to a quiet classroom
- Stay within the outlined boundaries – TBA
- You may not hang out in the halls (only use the halls to quietly go to an open space)
- You may not use your cell phone while on a photography assignment (it is still class time)
- You may not leave campus without explicit written permission
Course Objectives: Students will be able to…
• Demonstrate a solid understanding of art concepts through the elements of art and principles of design
• Demonstrate an intermediate to advanced knowledge of Adobe Photoshop (PS)
• Demonstrate working knowledge of digital photography via a DSLR camera by producing consistent quality images
• Create projects that reflect individual creativity and personal interpretation
• Maintain an online portfolio of photographic work divided into various class projects
1. Lectures and demonstration
2. Software Lessons/Lab
3. Camera Instruction and Assignments
4. Project Assignments
6. Class Participation Course Topics
Course Projects: (TBA, tailored to individual students)
• Online Digital Portfolio